Saturday, May 05, 2007

HANA part 2: 9 days til the magic


9 days. This is killing me. Did I mention this is killing me?

Not the drawing. No. The damn waiting! I want to share!

I'm past the toughest of the pages and onto the most fun. I'm drawing Micah and Niki as we speak. A really nice big portrait close-up of mother and son.

I've done the layouts for the big poster page. As I mentioned ages ago, I promised my friend, Lee that he could model for Peter Petrelli if it came up. Well it came up. And not in the way he expected. Lee is a part of the small inner circle of friends who see all my artwork before I send it off to my editors. They check it for inconsistencies, storytelling and just generally try and say nice things about it to keep me sane. I do this to make my editor's job easier. They don't have to watch my back, because I have a team of people who do it for me.

Lee had been adamant about not wanting to see the last spoiler page before the final episode. But then I shot him the deal. In order to play Peter, he had to know what happens to Peter at the end. Eventually glory won out over the better part of curiosity. To his credit, he picked it to a tee. Tomorrow I'm heading over to his place to do all the shots. I need help with some of the other characters, so it's going to be interesting working with his wife and him and not being able to tell them who they are or exactly what they're doing.

Also the final screen shots came through. Wow. I'm pretty excited. It looks like a kicker of an episode! I can't wait... and I KNOW what happens!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seen "Five Years Gone" yet? :) I hate what they did to Parkman's character. :( *snif*

Ooh, there's an inner circle huh? How mysterious... But why do I picture this big dome-shaped building that looks kinda like Darth Vader's mask rising out of a swamp...? Hm...

Anonymous said...

Counting down the days. I'm actually about as anxious for your issue to be released as I am to read what you have to say about it. Your blog really is half the fun of the whole experience.

Anonymous said...

We had to let the big dome-shaped building go. Getting a cleaner to come out to a swamp on a regular basis cost more than Jas was willing to pay.

Unknown said...

ROTFL... well played, lee.... :)

jasonb said...

polson: Matt wasn't likeable, but he made a great and convincing bad guy.

ryan: oooh... and part 2 is even better! Thanks so much! When it goes live it's going to be post-fest! I have so much to say. I've already started writing posts in anticipation.

lee: Great. Thanks. Now you make me look cheap cos I wouldn't pay for the domed skull-like building. And the dry rot was a killer on the resale value.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ryan. But for this blog, I would've enjoyed your comics like I do the others, and then shrugged and moved on. But now, I'm learning a lot about what goes on behind the scenes. I'm reading the comics with a more critical eye. And I'm enjoying them much more because I can appreciate the efforts of the creators.

I also love how excited you are about your work. That much joy is just fun to be around.

I love it when artists (of any kind) are able to interact with the audience of their work. It just seems to bring so much more to the process of creation and to the relationship between artist and audience. That's really cool to me.

And I like that you, Jason, and the other folks who are interacting here and at 9thwonders, are all interested in dissecting and discussing this topic that I'm also interested in (namely HEROES in general and the 360Experience in particular).

I'm so glad you're keeping your thoughts updated and ready to post. That way when we do finally get to read everything, it'll be fresh and unvarnished. (I hope you'll do some reflective, post-publication posts as well, of course.) I'm looking forward to all of that glorious reading!

I do hope you've planned a little vacation for yourself once all of this is over! Lee, let him out of the swamp and take him to dinner in a nice glitzy place that looks nothing like New York City! ;)

CurlyMarie

baldbobbo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
baldbobbo said...

So I don't know if you read the interview with Aron Coleite and Joe Pokaski (Here), but I think they mention what you're working on.

Anyway, I've had three countdowns going on. The countdown to .07%, my last final (this Friday), and your work coming out. Looking forward to the stories you have that aren't on the page (or I guess screen, but you get the gist of it). As always, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

So yeah.. The aforementioned "Behind the Eclipse"... :o

Anywhoo, great work on this one. I really like the colors in the sky, very reminiscent of the sky in the painting of Peter flying from "Genesis".
Hana looks a little bit different than what we've seen from you so far, but awesome nonetheless.
The story sounds like it's going to be pretty interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

You beat me to it Bob...So the writers say the name of the 22-page novel is "The Death of Hana Gitelman." Um, that's quite a little detail that we haven't discussed, eh?

Unknown said...

According to Five Years Gone, Hana's not dead yet. Unless things change drastically to avoid that dark future...

Unknown said...

Oh, and I agree with your viewpoint on Matt. And that one exasperated line was great... "WHAT?" I was all ROTFL...